Exploring my school
Now it is time to investigate your school environment and conduct an audit based on the 4 principles from Step 1.
- Coming and going
- Keeping watch
- Showing we care
- Having fun
- As a class vote on the one issue around the school your class would like to take action to improve.
- Discuss what would solve or improve the situation.
- Decide if it is going to be a student, class or whole-school initiative
- Determine if you can complete the activity by yourselves or if you will need external assistance (eg: parents, school council)?
- Are there costs involved? How will these funds be raised?
- As a class decide to look after a particular area of the school grounds by gardening, repainting lines on courts, new timber on seats, painting a mural, etc
- Students could make a resource (video, poster, board game, etc) that encourages safe behaviour in a certain area of the school grounds.
- Write to the school council or present at a school assembly about an area that needs improving.
- Remember: the plan is to make the area safer, friendlier and more welcoming, and for the students completing the project to make a positive contribution to the school.
Share your project with us
We’d love to hear your stories from doing the How safe is my school program.
- Did you end up successfully taking action?
- What was the outcome?
Email your stories, photos and drawings to firstname.lastname@example.org