Reporting Crime
October 3, 2023
Crime Prevention
Who to call when

Who to call when

A quick guide to which emergency service or authority you should call in what situation.

When an emergency strikes or a crime is committed, the stress, anxiety, emotion and confusion, can make it difficult to know which emergency service or organisation you should call. Here’s a handy guide about what to report where.

Triple Zero (000)

Call if: 

  • you need immediate fire, police or ambulance help
  • if a crime is in progress (happening now)
  • if a crime has just been committed and an offender may still be in the area.
  • someone needs urgent medical help
  • life or property is being threatened
  • you see flames 
  • you have just witnessed a serious accident or crime

Call Triple Zero (000), then once you have been transferred to the emergency service you need, ask for an interpreter in your preferred language.

You can make an emergency call by using a TTY to call 106. 

You can ask the National Relay Service (NRS) for assistance with contacting Triple Zero (000) via relay (eg: TTY, chat, captions, SMS relay, video relay or voice relay). For more information, visit the NRS website to choose your preferred access point or call the NRS Helpdesk on 1800 555 660

Police Assistance Line

Call to:

  • report non-urgent crimes or events, anytime, anywhere
  • Report theft
  • report property damage
  • report lost property 
  • register absence from residence
  • register a party 
  • make a general police enquiry.

You can also report online.

Crime Stoppers

Call to anonymously report information about:

  • a crime
  • criminal activity
  • unsolved crime
  • people, vehicles or suspicious activity which could help solve or prevent a crime.

You can also make a confidential online report.

National Security Hotline

Call to anonymously report concerns about possible signs of terrorism and foreign interference. This may include:

  • someone threatening to harm people or damage infrastructure
  • large purchases of fertiliser, chemicals, explosives or other dangerous materials
  • unusual videotaping or photographing of official buildings or critical infrastructure
  • abandoned or suspicious vehicles near public buildings or in busy public places
  • abandoned luggage
  • websites or social media promoting extremist ideology
  • someone being coerced to return to their home country
  • unauthorised people trying to access sensitive information or places.

You can also report via email to or via SMS on 0429 771 822.


Call during a storm or flood:

  • if a tree has caused structural damage to your home or vehicle
  • a tree or damage is preventing access to your home
  • if your roof is damaged
  • or if your property is flooded or about to flood.

If someone’s life is in danger, call Triple Zero (000).

Emergency Animal Disease Watch Hotline

Call to report sick livestock, poultry and aquatic animals, especially if you suspect serious animal disease or spot unusual clinical signs. 

You can also make a report through the mobile app Notify Now. 

Download on Google Play

Download on the Apple App Store

Environment Protection Authority

Call to report pollution of any type, including waste, noise, water, smoke, dust or banned products. This can include:

  • odour from landfills, animal processors, sewage treatment or composting facilities
  • foul-smelling, abnormal or offensive emissions from industry
  • litter from cars
  • smoky vehicles
  • smoke in the air
  • illegal storage of soft plastics
  • the use of banned plastic bags
  • illegal waste disposal (also known as illegal dumping)
  • river or creek pollution, including fish deaths
  • unreasonable noise in your neighbourhood

You can also submit an online report

Get Police Assistance

For all emergencies and immediate Police assistance
Call: 000
To report non-urgent crimes or events 24 hours a day
Call: 131 444
To report information about a crime contact Crime Stoppers on
1800 333 000

Suggested reading just for you

Discover more Reporting Crime articles.

Find crime statistics for your area

Use our simple step-by-step guides to find crime statistics for your suburb, postcode or municipality.
Read More

When to call Triple Zero and what to do once you are on the line

Many people are unsure about when they should call Triple Zero (000). With fire and ambulance, only call if life or property is being threatened; with police, call if a crime is in progress or an offender may still be in the area. 
Read More

What is suspicious behaviour and when to report it

If you see someone behaving in a way that doesn’t look or feel right, and you think it’s likely they might commit a crime, it’s always best to report it.
Read More

Keep up to date with our tips, news and events

Subscribe to our newsletter
Connect With Us

Neighbourhood Watch Victoria acknowledges the 38 mobs, the Traditional Custodians of the land on which we operate, live, and gather as employees and volunteers. We recognise their continuing connection to land, water and community and pay respect to Elders past, present and emerging.

At Neighbourhood Watch, we believe everyone has the right to feel safe and welcome. We are committed to ensuring diversity, inclusion and equity are embedded throughout our organisation – in the work we do, the services we deliver and among our staff, volunteers, and the communities we work with.