Cars and Vehicles
August 16, 2023
Crime Prevention
Monkey bikes, scooters and e-bikes: what’s legal and where can you ride them in Victoria?

Monkey bikes, scooters and e-bikes: what’s legal and where can you ride them in Victoria?

If you ride mini motorcycles, e-scooters, e-bikes or motorised bicycles it’s important to stay across the rules of if, where and how you can use them in Victoria.

In Victoria, the regulations regarding the use of monkey bikes, e-scooters, and power-assisted bikes can vary depending on their specifications and characteristics. Here's an overview of the rules for each type:

Monkey bikes

Monkey bikes, also known as mini-bikes or pit bikes, are small motorcycles typically designed for off-road or recreational use. 

They cannot be ridden on public roads, footpaths, bicycle paths or nature strips, or on public land such as national parks, public reserves or sports fields. This is because they do not meet the standards needed to be registered as a vehicle. 

Monkey bikes are classified as off-road motorcycles and can only be used on private property such as a gated farm or designated off-road areas such as motocross tracks.

Victoria Police traditionally receive about 5,000 calls each year about riders causing trouble on monkey bikes – which pose a threat to not only the riders, but pedestrians and other road uses. 

Monkey bike riders typically do not have a motorcycle licence or wear safety gear and tend to be younger and more inexperienced. If caught, they can be charged with driving an unregistered vehicle and driving without a valid motorcycle licence and the bike seized and impounded. If police find a monkey bike without a rider, the bike will be impounded and crushed after three months. 


E-scooters are now legal in Victoria under strict trial rules. They can only be ridden on shared paths and roads that have a speed limit of up to 60km/h.

E-scooter riders must be 16 years or old and wear a helmet at all times. They cannot ride on footpaths, carry passengers or animals or ride in tandem. They also cannot ride a high-speed e-scooter capable of more than 25km/h.

What is a legal e-scooter?

E-bikes or power-assisted bikes

Power-assisted bicycles are becoming more popular in Victoria. The rules that people must follow when riding a power-assisted bike depends on its power output and speed capabilities. 

A power-assisted bicycle is the same as a pedal-powered bicycle except it has an auxiliary motor which helps the rider when cycling uphill or against the wind. These e-bikes can be ridden on public roads, bicycle paths, and shared paths without the need for registration or a licence.

There are 2 types of power-assisted bikes that are legal in Victoria.

  1. Pedal-assist e-bikes have a motor that only works while you pedal. The motor can have a continuous rated power output of 250 Watts that assists the rider up to a maximum of 25km/h. You can only travel at faster speeds if you solely use pedal power. 
  2. Throttle e-bikes allow you to use the electric motor without the need to pedal. The throttle sits on the handlebars and gives out a maximum power of 200 watts.

Petrol-powered bicycles

Pedal powered bicycles that have been converted to run on petrol motors are illegal to ride in Victoria, in most cases.

If the petrol motor is the main source of the bike’s power and its power output exceeds 200 Watts, then it’s no longer classed as a bicycle, but as a motorbike. This means riders must have the bike registered, obey the road rules, hold a motorcycle licence and wear an approve motorcycle helmet.

200 Watts is about what a 5cc model aeroplane engine puts out. Most petrol engines fitted to pedal-powered bicycles are 50cc or more. A 50cc engine puts out about 2,238 Watts.

Stay up to date with the laws

It's important to note that these regulations can change.

We recommend checking the latest information with VicRoads to make sure you’re complying with the current rules regarding monkey bikes, e-scooters, e-bikes and motorised bikes in Victoria.

What to do if you see illegal behaviour

If you see hoon behaviour, a monkey bike, an illegal petrol motorised bicycle or think that one of these bikes or scooters is being ridden unlawfully, you can report it to Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or the Police Assistance Line on 131 444.

Get Police Assistance

For all emergencies and immediate Police assistance
Call: 000
To report non-urgent crimes or events 24 hours a day
Call: 131 444
To report information about a crime contact Crime Stoppers on
1800 333 000

Suggested reading just for you

Discover more Cars and Vehicles articles.

Discussing road safety with your young adult

Merely increasing awareness about the dangers seems ineffective with young people because it seems that many adolescents are already cognisant of the risks associated with reckless driving.
Read More

Top 10 tips to prevent a thief stealing your car

The best way to protect your car is to always lock all doors, remove the keys and keep them out of sight behind a locked door in your home.  
Read More

How to prevent your number plates being stolen

The easiest way to protect your number plates from theft is by fitting them with one-way, anti-theft screws.
Read More

Keep up to date with our tips, news and events

Subscribe to our newsletter
Connect With Us

Neighbourhood Watch Victoria acknowledges the 38 mobs, the Traditional Custodians of the land on which we operate, live, and gather as employees and volunteers. We recognise their continuing connection to land, water and community and pay respect to Elders past, present and emerging.

At Neighbourhood Watch, we believe everyone has the right to feel safe and welcome. We are committed to ensuring diversity, inclusion and equity are embedded throughout our organisation – in the work we do, the services we deliver and among our staff, volunteers, and the communities we work with.