The purpose of the signage is to promote an active NHW group, a sense of community safety and to ‘advise the burglars’ that the community is aware of the NHW message and reports suspicious activity and crime.
It is recommended (although not always possible) that NHW signs be placed on poles on major streets that enter the area.
Approval of the local council is required before any NHW signs can be erected in a public road in Victoria. In addition, due to Occupational Health and Safety issues, council staff would be required to erect the signs. It is recommended (although it is not always possible), NHW signs be placed on existing poles on major streets that enter the area.
Where the use of power poles is being considered for mounting the signs, approval of the power company that owns the asset will be needed. Your local council may be able to help with obtaining approval from the power company for use of its poles.
An LGA should ensure they advise NHW Victoria of their committee members on the LGA Area Information Report.
De Neefe Signs
25 Brisbane Street
PO Box 132
Eltham VIC 3095
Phone: 03 9430 0222
De Neefe Signs is the preferred supplier for NHW signage.
The NHW contact is Lois Marsh (03) 9430 0253.
PS NW300 300mm X 450mm (standard) $15.95
PS NW450 450mm X 600mm (large) $17.20
PS NW 600mm X 800mm (extra large) $32.65
* Brackets, poles, bolts can be ordered, however, some council's supply these at no cost.
There are two options available for ordering street signs.
1. Order via the supplier De Neefe and pay GST.
2. Order via the NHW state office and not pay GST.
If you decide to save on the GST payment, please follow the steps below:
- NHW group to email NHW state office (firstname.lastname@example.org.)
- NHW state office will provide the NHW group with a specific number in order to use the NHW Victoria Inc account.
- NHW group to place order via De Neefe and quote the number provided by NHW state office.
- De Neefe to send goods to NHW group.
- De Neefe to invoice NHW state office for goods (including GST).
- NHW state office to pay the invoice (including GST).
- NHW state office to invoice NHW group (excluding GST).
Due to Health and Safety regulations, NHW Volunteers cannot install signs. Please contact your local council to arrange the installation. Signs can often be installed free of charge.
To provide guidance on the maintenance of NHW signs please refer to the NHW Street Signs Policy.